The Intergovernmental Conference to Adopt the Global Compact for Safe, Orderly and Regular Migration, will be held in Marrakesh, Morocco on 10 and 11 December 2018.
This Intergovernmental Conference is convened under the auspices of the General Assembly of the United Nations and held pursuant to resolution 71/1 of 19 September 2016, entitled “New York Declaration for Refugees and Migrants”, which decided to launch a process of intergovernmental negotiations leading to the adoption of a global compact for safe, orderly and regular migration. The modalities for the Conference were further elaborated in resolutions 71/280 of 6 April 2017 and 72/244 of 24 December 2017.
SECRETARY-GENERAL OF THE CONFERENCE: Ms. Louise Arbour, UN Special Representative for International Migration, Secretariat of the United Nations, New York
LEVEL OF PARTICIPATION: The Intergovernmental Conference will be held at the highest political level, including Heads of State or Government.
OUTCOME: The adoption of an intergovernmentally negotiated and agreed outcome, entitled “Global Compact for Safe, Orderly and Regular Migration”, for which the negotiations shall be concluded by July 2018, in accordance with its resolution 71/244.
- All States Members of the United Nations and all members of specialized agencies that have observer status with the General Assembly (Pre-registration: 3 Oct-28 Nov at http://delegate.un.int )
- Intergovernmental organizations and other entities having received a standing invitation to participate as observers, and organizations and bodies of the United Nations to participate as observers (Registration: 3Oct-28 Nov at http://delegate.un.int; If not enrolled in eAccreditations, email registration package to firstname.lastname@example.org within 3 Oct -21 Nov )
- Other interested intergovernmental organizations that apply to the General Assembly for accreditation to the Conference, in accordance with the procedure followed in previous United Nations conferences (Accreditation application : 1 July-30 September )
- Non-governmental organizations that are in consultative status with the Economic and Social Council. (Registration: 1 Aug-30 Sept at https://refugeesmigrants.un.org/ )
- Non-governmental organizations, civil society organizations, academic institutions, the private sector, diaspora communities and migrant organizations that have received special accreditation to attend and participate in the Conference. (Accreditation application ended on 31 March. Registration for approved organizations: 1 Aug-30 Sept at https://refugeesmigrants.un.org/)
- National human rights institutions compliant with the Paris Principles. (Registration: 1 Aug-30 Sept at https://refugeesmigrants.un.org/)
- Associate members of UN regional commissions (email registration package to email@example.com within 3 Oct -21 Nov)
- Representatives of the specialized agencies and related organizations and representatives of interested United Nations organs (Registration: 3 Oct-28 Nov at http://delegate.un.int)
Briefing on Logistical and Organizational matters of the Intergovernmental Conference to adopt the Global Compact for Safe, Orderly and Regular Migration in Marrakesh, 10-11 December 2018
Chair: His Excellency Ambassador Omar Hilale
Venue: Trusteeship Council
CONFERENCE WEBSITE: https://refugeesmigrants.un.org/intergovernmental-conference-2018
CONTACT EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org
CONTACT ADDRESS: Office of the Special Representative of the Secretary-General for International Migration, 2 United Nations Plaza, DC2-18th Floor, United Nations, New York